What’s Gone Wrong With Democracy?
The crisis in mainstream politics
Saturday November 12, 2016 (12pm – 2pm)
Prof. Simon Tormey
- Political theorist based in the School of Social and Political Sciences at Sydney University
- Founding Director of the Centre for the Study of Social and Global Justice at the University of Nottingham in the UK.
- Author of numerous books, including Making Sense of Tyranny: Interpretations of Totalitarianism, Politics at the Edge (co-edited with C Pierson) and Key Thinkers from Critical Theory to Post-Marxism.
- Appears regularly in the media commenting in particular on European politics for Sky Business, Sky News, ABC News, Bloomberg and the BBC
Dr. Jim Stanford
- One of Canada’s leading economists
- Honorary Professor of Political Economy at the University of Sydney
- Director of the Centre for Future Work at The Australia Institute
- Author of numerous books and columns, including Economics For Everyone: A Short Guide to the Economics of Capitalism
Dr. Lloyd Cox
- Lecturer in Department of Modern History, Politics and International Relations at Macquarie University
- Principal research and teaching areas ate Australian and US political history and foreign policy, globalization and nationalism, comparative politics and political theory
- Research interests include questions about Empire and the link between US domestic politics and foreign policy
Dr Olga Oleinikova
- Part of the Sydney Democracy Network based at Sydney University
- Post-Doctoral Researcher with main interest in the area of East European Societies
- Currently driving the establishment of a Ukraine Democracy Initiative (UDI)